Green Thread® Environmental Program
How ARAMARK defines sustainability: "The ability to meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs"
At ARAMARK Parks and Destinations, we have a deep respect for and commitment to protecting and improving the environment. We work to reduce our environmental footprint while delivering exceptional operational results. We also offer expertise and practical solutions to our clients to help them reduce their environmental impacts. Throughout our corporation, we develop and implement long-term environmental stewardship programs and policies within the areas of sustainable food; responsible procurement; green buildings; energy and water conservation; transportation; and waste stream management. We call these programs and policies Green Thread® as they weave throughout our business operations every day!
Green Thread®, what is it?
- Environmental Management System.
- Designed to help regulate what we buy, how we use energy, how we dispose of chemicals, etc.
- Deal with what are known as "aspects and impacts"
- Turning on a light switch
- Buying food for the restaurants
Green Thread® will prepare us for our ISO 14001 certification
- Comprehensive EMS aimed at continual improvement
- Not perfection, but a commitment to making change in our line of business
- Helps conserve energy
- Lowers our environmental footprint
Green Thread® is everywhere..."A green thread in everything we do"
Program Highlights At Zephyr Cove:
- Food waste composting program - Will encompass all locations that prepare food – MS Dixie, Tahoe Queen, Special Events sites at Zephyr Cove Resort, Zephyr Cove Restaurant, and Sunset Beach Bar and Grill.
- Energy savings - Installation of a new boiler system that feeds the entire Zephyr Cove Lodge and 9 cabins.
- Energy savings - installation of a 90+ efficient furnace in one of our largest cabins – Cabin 24.
- Energy savings - Changed from incandescent light bulbs property wide to compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL’s).
- Water conservation and energy savings - In room linen service where a stayover guest will have linens changed and/or washed only when requested.
- All shampoos and lotions in guest rooms are filled via dispenser versus individual packaging - Less solid waste.
- Recycle program for all cardboard – property wide.
- Installation of 20 bear-proof dumpsters to help eliminate any human/bear interactions and decrease bear visits to the resort.
- Recycle all batteries property wide to reduce impact on landfill.
- Recycle all used CFL bulbs, mercury-containing thermostats, and fluorescent light bulbs.
- Recycle all used motor oil and antifreeze.
- Recycle all used cooking oil – to be used for biodiesel use.
- Recycle all copies of newspapers that do not sell. Some is used on site to wrap fragile items sold within retail locations.
- Recycle all used office paper.
- Participate in the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch Program (MBASWP) to purchase the most sustainable seafood for F&B locations. Looking to increase the % we purchase every year.
- Participate in ARAMARK Corporate program to purchase sustainable serviceware, napkins, tissues, and towels. Expect to increase the percentage we purchase every year.
- Research into compostable cups, serviceware, etc. to be able to intertwine with our new composting program.
- Designing BMP’s for the entire property at Zephyr Cove Resort to conform with TRPA guidelines.
- Trained Marina employees for Aquatic Invasive Species.
- Monitor monthly copier totals (black/white vs. color) ink consumption.